Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I made bread...with yeast and everything!!!

My bread making class inspired me to make some all by myself. In my little dorm kitchen, I made the dough. I had to roll it out on our table because there wasn't enough counter space (gotta love college). Anyways, it was a blast. I took the finished pecan cinnamon rolls to my bible study. They gobbled them up! So, my first attempt at real from scratch cinnamon rolls was a success!!! Enjoy :) I'll post the recipe just under the pictures!






Homemade Cinnamon Rolls with Classic Yeast Bread Recipe

1 cup milk
1/4 cup shortening
1/2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
Heat those in microwave until shortening melts

Dissolve 1 pkg yeast in 1/3 cup warm water (hot water will kill the yeast) with 1 tbsp sugar. (I used quick rising yeast)

Place milk mixture in bowl. When luke warm add yeast mixture (again, if it's too hot it will kill the yeast)
Add 1 egg - mix well
Add 2 cups flour - mix on medium speed for 2 minutes
Add 1.5-2 cups flour until it makes a still dough (shouldn't be sticky) (I got my hands dirty on this part!)

Grease a large bowl- place dough in it and turn over to grease top. Cover with saran wrap and a damp towel. Place in a warm place to rise til double in size.

Roll out into a rectangle on a floured surface. Cover with melted butter. Sprinkle cinnamon/sugar (I added pecans). Roll up (roll it really tight). Cut into 1" slices. Place these on a greased pan (not to close). Cover again and let rise.

Bake in a 400-425* oven 15-18 minutes until golden brown.

ICING: powdered sugar, milk, vanilla

Note: the dough also makes great dinner rolls!

ENJOY! Love
Susie

No comments:

Post a Comment